The discipline of chemistry in Shanghai Jiao Tong University initiated late, but it has developed very fast. Since 2001, we have introduced a large number of outstanding scholars from home and abroad, which completes the layout of the secondary chemical discipline quickly.
At present,, we have 2 master stations for primary discipline, 10 master stations for secondary discipline, 1 doctor station for primary discipline, 3 stations for secondary discipline, and 1 postdoctoral mobile station.
With joint effort of the whole faculty, over 20 outstanding talents are introduced from abroad, which optimizes not only the personnel structure but the age structure of the academic leaders. At present, there are 102 full-time teachers in the chemical school, including 1 academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2 double hired academicians, 1 National Thousands of Plan, 3 Changjiang Chair Professors, 5 winners of the National Outstanding Youth Science Fund, 1 chief scientists of “973 plans projects”, 8 distinguished professors, 33 full-time professors, 3 special researchers, 32 doctoral supervisors. And 21% the faculty members hold doctoral degree from foreign universities.
Along with the disciplinary development, we insist on aiming at academic frontiers, following the domestic demands, and placing emphasis on the development of predominant fields.
The research areas in chemical discipline mainly focus on the following aspects:
1) The design and synthesis of multidimensional chiral mesoporous functional materials; the study of cationic-surfactant-structure-directing mechanism; the preparation and surface modification of inorganic nanomaterials; the synthesis of chiral inorganic and organic hybrid microporous materials and the research on asymmetric catalytic, etc.
2) Development of new chiral ligands and research on asymmetric catalytic reactions; study of efficient synthesis method of drug and its intermediates; research on the method and mechanism in the formation of the transition metal catalyzed carbon-carbon bonds; research on organic phosphonite chemistry, design and industrialization of chiral phosphorus ligands, etc.
3) Research on capillary electrophoresis with high performance, microfluidic chips, highly sensitive micro-volume detector, laser induced fluorescent single cell and detection of single molecule, nano biological technology, etc.
4) Theoretical research on the electronic structure and properties of heavy metal system; theoretical research on the structure and catalytic activity of metallic nano clusters; basic research on creating a new generation movable and extensible molecular force field; the calculation with the first principle of chemical potential and its application in the field of chemical materials; surface chemistry, etc.
5）Basic study on the energy chemistry engineering and materials: novel materials for fuel cells, novel materials for lithium batteries (positive electrode, negative electrode, separator, electrolyte), novel materials for other power storage batteries (such as sodium batteries and flow batteries), novel materials for solar energy batteries, novel catalysts and reactor for coal chemical engineering and C1 chemistry.
6) Research on dynamic model of polymerization reaction; polymer conformation statistics theory; research on the synthesis methods of new hyperbranched polymer and its functionalization and supramolecular self-assembly; study on synthesis and properties of photoelectric functional polymers; research on the structure and performance of thermosetting polymers, compatibility and phase behavior, molecular assembly structure and fracture mechanics; research on the structure and properties of polymers composed of cage type POSS materials; rheology of polymeric complex; interactions between nano-structure and cell; the research on synthesis, characterization and functionalization of hyperbranched polymers and polyurethane; research on polymeric solid electrolyte; biodegradable polymeric biomaterials, polymeric nanobiomaterials; flame retardant functional polymeric materials; full fluorinion exchange membrane and its industrialized production; polymer structure and properties and processing methods, etc.
In recent years, scientific research has made progress by leaps and bounds. We have excellent academic echelon and outstanding subject leaders in the five secondary chemical disciplines, and the basic research competence of chemistry has gotten further development. The research group led by academician Deyue Yan won the second prize of national natural science award. It is an significant breakthrough for it is the first time for our school to get the national scientific research award.
In 2011, the whole school had published 217 SCI papers , 7 of which with an impact factor over 7, 13 over 6, 33 over 5 and 73 over 4. The quantity and quality of published papers maintained a dramatic and steady increase compared with the past years. We even published one paper in the high impact factor magazines “CHEMICAL SOCIETY REVIEWS” (IF: 26.583) and “ACCOUNTS OF CHEMICAL RESEARCH” (IF: 21.84), respectively. The research funding for the whole school reached 47,79 million in 2011, 44% of which was from government programs. Besides, another 25 national natural science funds were approved. The scientific research not only promotes the academic status of the chemistry discipline, but also contributes to the national scientific and technological progress.
Faculty with outstanding academic capability, advanced scientific instruments, and abundant research funds will lay a solid foundation for the training of post-doctors. It would be a great honor for our school to cultivate pioneering innovative talents for our country.